Monday, February 6, 2017

Acorn Images

Building Iain Oughtred's Acorn Tender

The Overview
Sadly I cannot find any images of the beginning of the build. The initial construction of the setup and molds was easy enough. I really enjoyed lining out the strakes with small battons as that was the first time I could visualize the final hull appearance. After placing the keelson even the dreaded garboard strakes went on without issue. However, from that point on creating a template for each pair of strakes was a challenge. I tried spiling, and using a thin sheet of luan bent over the battons in an attempt to figure out the exact shape of the next strake. The simple luan technique worked well until I got to the strakes that were longer than the plywood and I certainly wasn't going to scarf every template. Eventually what worked the best was laying a stiff plastic sheet, about 6mil, over the hull and tracing the edges of the lining battons. A couple of stakes were a smidgen off, but not bad and happily are not very noticeable in the final product.

Outer stem attached, keel blanks positioned.

This part of the build is where things were fun and fast. Finally I could see the end of the hull. I laminated the outer stem at the same time I laminated the inner stem so it was ready to go. Having that piece hanging around for 6 months was demoralizing. Attaching the gunwales and keel was simple and seamless.

Attaching the outer keel, clamping from the cieling.

Using a spanish windlass to bend the aft end of the outer keel.
Outer keel in place, shaping begins, starting outer gunwales.

Attaching inner gunwales, seat risers in place.
Placing the seat risers stalled me for awhile, trying to figure out something resembling level when the boat is sitting the water. Eventually I decided it really didn't matter as long as it was symmetrical and at the appropriate height where the daggerboard case was to be installed -- this would act as a center support for the seat.

Second strip of the starboard inner gunwale is glued.
Gunwales complete, breasthook attached, daggerboard case gluing up and seats fitted.
Prepping the hull for paint

Setting up the hardware

Hull, sole and under the sole painted, seats dry fitted.

First coats of varnish.

Closeup of stem and breasthook.
Figuring out how to make the sole supports level was another tricky moment. As always, after fussing with it until I got too frustrated I simply chose to go for it, time was running out. It came out fine.

All wooden parts attached, multiple coats of varnish.
Hardware added, sole in place, all done ... for now.

The finish work was rushed and incomplete as we were heading to the northern neck of Virginia in a week. I will eventually get back to it and add another 6 coats of varnish.

Towing behind Elizabeth.

Rowing to Kilmarnock.

The first successful trip, resting at Kilmarnock.

Next Up: the mast, daggerboard and rudder. I already made the sail.

No comments: